Re: [TCML] MOT supply

Hello again,

First, if you are looking for a long spark, don't use a 1.75
inch dia coilform --- go to at least 4 inch dia.

You need to run a power reactor on the primary side of your
MOT to limit the max current draw to 15 Amps or less.

Resonance,
the 1.75" coilform is already made, and bolted on to the TC.
this coil is another table top type so 4" would be a little
bit too big...
this poor little mot wouldent take 10A so ill be running it
at 5 or 6.
1500W should be enough power to run this 15" high coil
(thats 15" overall, including the space under the primary
and topload :-)

I don't think the different values of your caps should
matter (they are quite
close). If you could find another couple of microwave caps,
you could build a
voltage quadrupler, as in this design:
http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/tc2schem.html
For the charging choke, MOTs work well. You would probably
need two in series
(using the secondaries), with the 'I' sections cut off. The
design in the link
above uses tube amp power supply chokes - maybe this is
better for a low power
coil if you can get hold of something similar. As long as
the choke has a value of more than several H, there is no
need for a series resistor.

Tom,
i think a voltage quadrupler wouldn't fit into this coil...
the base is 180mmX180mm so there isnt much room for anything
(and i want to feep as much metal out of the primary's
magnetic field as posible). the 3 mots that i have took me
about 2 months (that's a long time for me :-) to find, so i
dont want to go cut anything off them. will they work with
the core fully intact?

> Hmmm - Pete, were those croc clip from the same MO  = D
> ..  I think we have  a cheater!!
> Good work Pete Keep up the Down Under Thunder

from a microwave oven

> > Peter

what if you held that copetition again, but instead of
"build a TC out of a microwave" it could be "get the longest
spark from a microwave" it'd be funny to see what other
weird and wonderful HV things can made out of a single MO...

BTW, does anyone play halo?

Ben