RE: [TCML] Another NST question

The reason that you CAN'T series NST's is that for NST voltages at and above something like 6kV, the secondary winding are constructed with their mid-points connected to the NST core and case.  So for a 9kV NST, one hot lead is at +4.5kV relative to the case, the other at -4.5kV relative to the case.  If you tied two 9kV secondaries in series, there would be 9kV between their cases.  On the surface this doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem until you realize that the primary windings are not built to insulate many kV to the core.  Since the primary windings are tied together, there are two core-to-primary insulation barriers between the two cores that are 9kV apart.  It's not built to withstand that much and will break down.

You can deliver just as much total power to the coil if you just parallel the secondary windings.  No problem with that at all.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA