RE: [TCML] Q,,question

The proximity effect I think plays into this issue. The ID of a tube has the current affected by the 360º surface more so than the OD. I don't think 100% of the ID skin effect is discounted, but it is not equal to the skin effect on the OD. Is this true?

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Swinson
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 10:53 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Q,,question

Is this not assuming a solid wire ? current would be pushed to the surface
yes. but AFAIK it is not the same for hollow tubes which have two surfaces.

Skin effect should work on both sides of copper tube or flat ribbon.  I do
not see why current would pass on a flat strips both sides but not both
sides of a copper tube.

I see it as 2 surface areas, 100khz will be about 0.1mm depth so if the tube
is 0.5mm thick then it should be 0.1mm outside and inside the tube, the rest
of the copper mass of 0.3mm is now the core and not used...

I looked up skin effect, it just says "the surface" but there are two
surfaces. So I do not see why it would favour only 1 side of a tube ?

If you split open copper tube the surface area would still be the same. So
does not see why it matters what shape it is.. Maybe you know of a website
which states more arruratly what skin effect is. There is a lot of sites
though it only says "the surface"....

Chris