RE: [TCML] Q

I'm having a difficult time with suggestions that the secondary Q changes as a function of its coupling to the primary.

Allow me to preface my comments by noting that while I am an electrical engineer, my formal training did not focus on RF electronics, so what I know about Q has been absorbed strictly from hobby-level interests.  I may not be 100% clear on the strict definition of Q.

My understanding of Q is that it is a measure of the losses present in a component.  Let us assume that we have a "perfect" lossless primary, cap, gap, and secondary.  Though clearly impossible, the Q of everything would be infinite.  The only "losses" would be in the form of sparks coming off the top load.  We could adjust the pri/sec coupling and see that there is still frequency splitting (NOT an indication of losses), and we can see that the rate of energy exchange varies as a function of coupling, just as it does with real, lossy components.  Would you suggest that the Q is still varying, even though the components have infinite Q?  I don't think that the fact that higher coupling permits energy to be transferred more rapidly counts as evidence that the Q is reduced.  Or does the definition of Q not care whether energy is being transferred to an intended load or to parasitic losses within the component?  Regardless, it seems foolish to lower coupling if only to keep the primary (or secondary) ringing longer, in the belief that this improves the Q.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA