Re: [TCML] Ferrite Beads, Terry Filters, NST protection

I avoid the higher inductance chokes as they may cause a resonance with a neon sign xmfr. I prefer a simple air core choke for this task. Email off list and I will email you the schematic for the filter design I use with all nsts.

Dr. Resonance

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Meehan" <btmeehan@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:46 PM
Subject: [TCML] Ferrite Beads, Terry Filters, NST protection

As I understand it, the Terry filter's purpose is to protect the NST from HV spikes. I was wondering if putting some small ferrite beads in series with
the high-wattage resistors would help lower the RF on the NST side of the
filter? I have some small beads (1/2 inch long, 1/8 inch diameter, with the
wire woven through the core of the ferrite about four times).

My parts are still in the mail, I figured that I would build it and try it
out.  I have looked a bit for ways to hook up to the signal on the high
voltage without turning my o-scope into a smoking cinder. I gather that the current transformer is the accepted way to do that? I also have a BNC spark
gap (lightning arrestor) that I was going to put in series with the scope
too ...