Re: [TCML] my recommendation for a SRSG motor arbor

Hi Jon,
I use Claris Draw which is , admittedly, getting a little dated (it hasn't been supported for years). But I like it because I know it so well. One feature I like particularly well is the ability to create layers within a single drawing. For example, when I design an RSG disk I create a layer for the disk, one for the hub, and another for a metal flange which goes on the face of the disk and then I print each layer separately. After machining, everything bolts together perfectly (assuming my machining skills were up to the task).

I think the biggest obstacle to this scheme is finding a printer with a wide enough bed to accommodate some of your larger components. Before I retired I had access to some HP printers which handle output up to about four feet in width. I suppose one could use one of the commercial printing services but then you would have to find a compatible drawing application that would maintain the precise dimensions of your original drawing.

It would be interesting to hear what tools others on the list use to prepare and print mechanical drawings.

Dave
Pleasanton, CA