RE: wanted 15kv 120ma transformer (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:50:34 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: wanted 15kv 120ma transformer (fwd)

Kyle,

David (Baehr) is correct as 15/120s have always been pretty rare and expensive.
I think there are very few neon lighting requirements that would call for 120 mAs
of current unless you were trying to light a 100 ft. run of  1" dia. neon tubing out-
doors in Fairbanks, AK, in February! Most neon tubing runs are relatively short
and are ran in reasonable ambient temperature conditions where 30 mAs is plenty
of current. If you need that much power, then you could either consider D. Baehr's
suggestion of ganging 30 mA (or 60 mA) NST units in parallel or better yet, go on
and graduate to a neon bombarder transformer or a pole pig ;^) Of course the only
drawbacks to these types of transformers is that they are massive and require the
additional mass of external ballasting. Pole pig driven coils are NOT very portable!
More power = more weight

David Rieben