Re: ARSG Motors (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:37:55 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ARSG Motors (fwd)

Chris,
     There is a performance and a major safety issue.  One, as your break
rate increases your gap losses increase (as does the stress on your
capacitor, which may or may not be able to withstand it).  Faster moving
electrodes are better, but you have a minimum of 2 per disk, so if you have
a disk spinning 12000 RPM, you will have a BPS of 400 (which is pretty good,
depending on your individual coil), but your electrodes are moving at 250
MPH at the tips (assuming a 7 inch electrode).  Basic physics tells us, that
even a small mass at a velocity this high is experiencing very high forces
(if I were board I would calculate it for you, but as it is, take my word
for it, a tungsten rod could penetrate your body at this speed (depending on
where it hit you) not to mention, completely destroy your gap)  it is much
safer to run this gap at say 3000 RPM, and use 8 electrodes for 400 BPS, now
your electrodes are only moving 62 MPH, which is much safer.  As for
quenching concerns, if you are worried about it, (I wouldn't be) put in a
series quenching gap.  To address your other point, yes a faster break rate
makes more consistent sparks, and can increase spark length, but using more
electrodes (8) you can get 800 BPS with 6000 RPM, this is plenty of breaks
per second.  I suggest you peruse these two websites for detailed
information about what I am trying to say, they will say it better than I
can.
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/async.html
http://www.tb3.com/tesla/sparkgaps/safety.html
Be safe, have fun.
Scott Bogard.

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: ARSG Motors (fwd)
>Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:15:20 -0600 (MDT)

Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes!