Re: Mysterious Streamers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mysterious Streamers (fwd)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Tesla list wrote:

> From: C. Sibley <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>
> I ran my big coil for about 50 people last Saturday night.  Today one of the people that were there e-mailed me some pictures.  One of the pictures has some really wierd "streamers" in it that I can't explain.

At the "Museum of Mysteries" in Seattle, people are always bringing in
these same photos.  But there's no mystery.  The explanation is simple.
Some cameras have a mode where they first fire the xenon flash, then they
leave the shutter open for quite some time in order to fill in the dim
background.   If the camera is handheld, then the photographer often will
take these flash pictures, then wave the camera around while the lens is
still open.   Any light sources will become "streamers."   Most will look
like dotted lines because of 120Hz pulses in their power supplies.

In fact, buy counting the number of "dots" in the streamers, and assuming
1/120 second per dot, we can estimate the angular speed of camera motion,
and also how long the shutter must have been open.

> http://www.wackorama.com/teslalist/oddstreamers.JPG
>
> I didn't notice anythng unusual while running it, but this one picture is very odd.  Anyone have any ideas?
>

> Curt.

> Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci