Re: Frequency splitting (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:50:41 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Frequency splitting (fwd)

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the kind words. My responses (and speculations) are below.

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

Channel luminosity corresponds to the current flowing through the
channel at that instant. While there is some "afterglows" (from
thermally excited nitrogen and oxygen species), an air spark behaves
similar to a high pressure flash tube, and the bright flash pretty much
directly correlates with the sudden movement of significant charge
through the spark channel during stepwise propagation at the FAR end.
What I found to be extremely interesting was that the above experiments
also showed high current pulses in the reverse direction, as previously
injected space charges were extracted back into the channel during
subsequent topload voltage reversals.

> In other words, is the
> effective increase in Csec due to the plasma channel, in effect for the
> entire bang duration, for only for a few nanoseconds during each HF
> peak, or does it span bangs?

Yes...  :^)

Spark growth (or the reignition of a partially cooled down channel from
a previous bang), is accompanied by abrupt, large current pulses. Only
after a hot, conductive channel has been created, can the comparatively
lower RF displacement currents heat and maintain the channels.Current
measurements through an already-established leader show high current
spikes at (or near) terminal voltage peaks (corresponding to further
spark propagation or reignition) superimposed on lower, pseudo
steady-state RF displacement currents into/out of the leader
capacitance.

Both of these effects were observed during direct streamer current
measurements made by Greg Leyh on Electrum in 1997-98. For the benefit
of newer coilers, the streamer current measurements were made while Greg
was seated INSIDE the topload of his operating 130 KW coil...  =<:^O
http://www.lod.org/Projects/electrum/testing/pages/Leyh23pwr.html

A large topload capacitance permits larger chunks of charge to be
instantly "on tap" to support initial spark propagation and initial
formation of a hot leader. Once the leader has been formed,
comparatively lower RF displacement currents will help to _keep_ it hot
and conductive. The latter currents do not add to further spark growth,
but only serve to make existing sparks fatter and hotter. In DRSSTC's,
CW VTTC's and SSTC's, increasingly more power goes into maintaining the
main channel. Although sparks become fatter and hotter, they stop
growing once streamer loading begins to "clamp" the maximum HV output
voltage.

Terry and Peter's experiments seem to show that the surrounding space
charge regions not only absorb energy from, but can also supply energy
back into the leader-streamer via "hard" discharges. Energy flow can be
discontinuous (during nanosecond spark propagation or channel reignition
events), or continuous (during simple RF displacement current flow
through existing leaders). Although these nanosecond events can extract
significant energy from the system, only the RF displacement currents
will directly impact TC tuning.

The size of the topload capacitance limits the "stepping" distance a
spark will propagate before the terminal voltage collapses to the point
where further growth is killed. If the secondary is undergoing ring-up,
a number of spark extending steps may occur before maximum terminal
voltage is achieved. The mechanism (within a given bang) may be similar
to stepped-leader growth in lightning, but on a much smaller scale.
However, the effects of RF voltage reversals and residual space charge
regions (from previous discharges) significantly complicate the overall
picture... I suspect they further facilitate the development of long
sparks.

I'm sure the answer is a great deal more
> complex than any one of those answers, but I have to wonder what the net
> effect would be if the channel capacitance were present for just a few
> nanoseconds per bang.
>
> Thanks, Gary

There's still a quite lot that is not known about just how Tesla Coil
sparks form and grow, both within a bang and between bangs. As coils
become increasingly sophisticated, even more surprises are uncovered. A
simple problem it is NOT, but it sure is fun trying to figure out what
it all means...  :^)

Bert