Re: first coil issues (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:15:06 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: first coil issues (fwd)

Hi Drake,
The proximity between coils is 1" and fine if your at or below the
bottom winding on the secondary. A wee bit high on coupling when even,
so if your there, look out for racing sparks or pri to sec arcing (or
even orange glowing spots in that vicinity).

A 1/4" copper tubing would do just fine for this coil. I personally like
a 1.5" spacing with this coil size between inner turn primary and secondary.

The MMC, well, it sounds like you simply have some proximity arcs
occurring (my read on it). Increase proximity. Oil will help, but isn't
necessary. I keep my MMC's spaced by about 1/2". I think you can figure
out what you need to do for that cap to stop the arcing. It's really in
your hands and if it's proximity arcing, then just increase the
proximity. Oil is ok, but unnessary unless you just don't want to change
it all again. I can certainly understand that feeling. I started my
first MMC in the worst possible configuration. Even blew a cap due to my
naive considerations. I eventually mounted them on a 8" pvc cylinder
which naturally spaced them out and has actually been very convenient
over the few years since I've built it.

http://www.classictesla.com/photos/mmc/mmc.html

A 12/90 NST can get some decent sparks. You simply need to clean up the
loose ends.

Take care,
Bart