RE: Ganging Variacs (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:46:40 -0500
From: Terry Oxandale <Toxandale@xxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Ganging Variacs (fwd)

There has been a great deal of discussion on this issue as well as the
parallel aspect. My experience was saturation of the variac core, but
this is based upon the core size and voltage/turns ratio. I don't have
the greatest understanding of this issue, but I believe it is focused on
the fact that only a small portion of the core is used in most of these
applications (reduce the number of turns reduces which increases
current, but also increases the voltage/turns ratio to a point of
saturation.

I successfully split the core of my variacs (two 1256 variacs in
parallel) to prevent this from happening and have been very happy with
the modulated current profile as compared to the nearly uncontrolled
profile previous to splitting the core. It was a lot of work though.

Terry