Re: Ballast for pole pig. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:33:41 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Ballast for pole pig. (fwd)

Hi all,

I now a use a combination of inductive and resistive ballasting
for my pole pig. I have to throw in a bit of resistance to keep the
inductive ballast from drawing insane current levels and I think
Richard Hull used to recommend this approach to "smooth out"
the coil's output. I really don't like the wasted energy in the form
of heat though, especially as hot as it's been in Memphis lately.
Today makes the 6th straight day of triple digit (Farenheit) tem-
peratures - actual temps too, not heat index temps! Too hot to even
play in the shop at night time with the fan on "get it"! Already seve-
ral local deaths associated with this heat wave. I really feel for peo-
who do not have A/C or better yet, coilers in Phoenix without A/C'd
shops.:^0 Chris Hooper, you listening ;^)? BTW, my inductive ballast
is a large isolation transformer (232 lbs) that I have shorted one of the
taps on. Without any resistance, it will draw well over 100 amps and
will cause the RSG to have trouble fully quinching. It sure does make
for some big, beautiful BRIGHT sparks, though ;^)
--
David Rieben