Re: first post (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:50:43 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: first post (fwd)

At 10:59 AM 8/15/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

One thing to watch out for is that you also need to consider the RF
current through the strings.  With a NST, you're never going to have
problems, but get up into the hundreds of mA range from your
transformer, and the RF current might get quite hgh.  I think some of
the MMC calculators out there take this into account.  You might need
parallel strings just to handle the current, and that's a rapidly
escalating cost situation, because to double the current, you need 4x
the capacitors, just to keep the capacitance reasonable.  (Or, you
buy 0.05 uF caps instead of 0.15 or 0.10 uF caps... a better plan anyway)

Jim Lux