Re: vacuum tube construction. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:22:35 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: vacuum tube construction. (fwd)

Look up "An Inexpensive X-Ray Machine" Should come up with a reprint of an old Scientific American article that pretty much sums it all up.Was going to try this myself with a few UV201A tubes I think (can't remember any other reason why I'd buy them).Seems easy enough to do! Be careful. Wyatt"

	That article is interesting in that he used a form of "kicker coil" to provide the HV.  Tubes [needn't be 201A's if the envelobe and getter are right] with heavy magnesium getter should work best but the "vacuum" needs to be good enough to avoid gas breakdown but not so good that there isn't any conduction at all.  I've tried the idea with several tubes from my collection but never had much luck, probably due to lack of effort.  Certainly needs long enough exposure to get response from the film.

Ed