Re: Capacitor Safety Discharge Method (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:59:44 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Capacitor Safety Discharge Method (fwd)

At 12:26 PM 8/8/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

The idea is that you discharge the bulk of the energy from the
capacitor at a reasonable rate (without loud bangs and flashes.. say,
at a few tens of amps), then, connect up your grounding hooks for safety.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, dropping a bolted short across a
cap with substantial energy damages the capacitor, and probably
causes damage to the cap terminals, not to mention the whole
psychological thing of bringing the rod closer and closer without
knowing exactly when it will go bang.

As far as safety goes, the electrical code says 50 volts in some
number of secconds.

>The bottom line is that resistors are fallible just as are O rings.
>Don't trust your life to them nor advocate something that could and has
>killed some one.

of course not.  there's two things going on here:
a) discharging the energy in the capacitors (what the resistor is for)
b) ensuring safety and no rebound charge.. (what the grounding hook is for)

And, of course, you need multiple ground hooks, especially if you
have multiple caps in series.