RE: Resonance equations (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:25:50 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Resonance equations (fwd)

Hi Ed,

> 	Need some more detail.  Describe the test setup and the
> observations which go with these resonances.

I will, but these equations apply to any LC circuit for any values.
It even applies to Schumann resonances.  As I mentioned, I tried this
on eight different Tesla coils.

The test setup I'm using for the measurement involves a flat spiral
coil and a solenoid coil.  The flat spiral coil is the higher
inductance coil but is used in a step down transformer arrangement.
It was tested to a self resonant frequency of 370kHz with the signal
generator.  The lower inductance coil (secondary) has a range of
inductance from 1.5 uH (1 turn) to 46.7 uH (10 5/6 turns).  There is a
fixed .022 uF capacitor soldered to the bottom end of the solenoid
coil (nearest the primary).  I use a test lead connected to the other
terminal of the capacitor to tap the secondary at various inductances.
The oscilloscope high and low leads connect across the capacitor.  The
signal generator high connects to the outside lead of the flat spiral
coil and the low connects to ground.

The two coils were inductively coupled, as in a standard Tesla coil
setup.

Since the primary capacitor (.022 uF) is fixed, I adjusted the
secondary inductance by tapping the solenoid coil.  To make sure I had
the correct inductance for each test, I placed the leads of the LC
meter across the secondary capacitor so that the LC meter was
measuring the entire inductance of the leads plus coil.  I tuned the
secondary to the calculated resonance and dialed the signal generator
to the expected frequency.

The high potential resonance was indicated by maximum potential on the
oscilloscope along with a clear standing wave pattern.  The other two
frequencies were indicated by minimal potential and also with a clear
standing wave pattern.  Of course, there are many frequencies that
will produce minimal potential, but only the predicted frequencies
(and their octaves) produced standing wave patterns.

Dave

David W. Thomson
Quantum AetherDynamics Institute