Re: How long? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 13:32:50 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How long? (fwd)

Hi Tony,

It is dependent on the coil parameters and the components themselves.
Heat is the killer if a transient voltage doesn't get you first. Area's
of heat are the spark gap, transformer, capacitors, and interconnect
wiring. If those items can handle the power applied without
over-heating, you can run continuously.

On my 4.5" coil using an NST (modified to 10.6kV, 200mA) and a static
gap (tcbor type), I can run it for several minutes, but I usually run
about 1 minute as the coil is usually inside the garage. The 4th of July
I ran it for several 5 minute runs. I noticed the NST and the extension
cord I ran out in the driveway was warm after the last run. I use a
Terry Filter and run slightly LTR. I kept the input voltage via a variac
at about 90% to keep the circuit breaker from tripping (just pulls too
much current if I crank it up). But still, plenty of spark length at 48
to 52 inch sparks at 90% variac on Independence Day! Neighbors were
thrilled and pictures were being flashed!

As far as the coil components, they remained nice and cool (cap,
secondary, primary). I use 8 awg along the discharge path and small 16g
hv wire in the charging path.

Here's a schematic of the coil which details the Terry Filter, discharge
path, etc..
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/sch45.pdf

Here's photo's of the coil (the Filter has been rebuilt, wiring cleaned
up, etc.. since)..
Lot's of pics (high speed internet helpful)
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/ba45.html

Take care,
Bart