Re: HV accident (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:43:06 -0700
From: Ray von Postel <vonpostel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HV accident (fwd)

Bleeder resistors should never be  installed and considered SAFETY
DEVICES.  The are placed across the output of power supplies as part of
the filter system to improve the filtering and regulation of the output
voltage.  The second use is across a series string of capacitors to
equalize the voltage across the capacitors.  This type of circuitry was
seldom if never found in commercial equipment.  It was a "work around"
when you didn't have a capacitor with the correct working voltage.

At one time I worked in high frequency (2 to 30 MHz) radio stations
where it was necessary to often change the operating frequency of the
transmitters.  This necessitated the turning off of the power, opening
the metal cabinet, and using wrenches to change coils.  SAFETY required
you to short the coils to ground and leave a grounding strap on them
until you finished making the changes.  In one particular instance one
of the guys got careless and failed to use the built in grounding
strap.  The result was that he got fried by the 4000 volt charge on a
bank of eight 2 Mfd capacitors.

The inquest decided he was killed because of his own carelessness and
the fact that a 200 watt 5000 ohm wire wound bleeder resistor had
opened up.  So much for bleeder resistors being a safety device.

Was he an idiot?  In my book, a very dead one.  Tesla coils are not
defibrillators.

Ray