Re: high potential energy discharge pulse duty capacitors

Original poster: Scott Kraus <plymouth_4406@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi D.C.,

My homebuilt cap seems to be working fine but I may be interested in a .1 uf unit. I would rather order one from someone who is desigining them for our exact purpose in mind. Also I know you design and build your equipment with a large safety margin. Do you have a projected size for the caps.

I have the wire and form for the pole xfmr protection circuit choke. I went to the salvage yard today and found a couple of electric dryer heater elements. Do you think that I can use these for the resistors in the protection circuit. One is rated at 5.8kw 240vac. and 10.8 ohms. The other is 240vac. at 39.8 ohms. I will cut and mix and match whatever I need. I could still kick myself because at the hamfest in Baraboo last year someone had a 5 gal. pail of 2 foot long power resistors -best offer- but I couldn't think of why I would want resistance in a Tesla Coil circuit.

It's reported to be in the 70- 80 degree range over the weekend and I hope to make some sparks!

Scott

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "D.C. Cox"

This winter RRC has been experimenting with HV capacitor design and
fabrication.

RRC will begin manufacturing and distributing high potential energy
discharge pulse capacitors this summer.

These will all be extended foil construction using 1 mil PE
dielectrics with a 1 kV/mil design parameter.

I intend to rate them for 2.5 million shots running with a 14.4 kV
distribution xmfr. Voltage reversals at 100% with all units rated at
60 kV DC pulse duty.

Two standard values will be available: 60 nF (.06 uF) and 100 nF
(0.1 uF) 60 kV.

Ultra high Q factor in excess of 20,000 and mounted in a
polypropylene case with mounting tabs. This exceeds current Maxwell
values by 2,500.

We expect to make our first large quantity production run in mid to
late July. Second run would be in December.

If anyone needs a large cap for a PT or pole xmfr operated coil
please contact me off-list and specify the quantity you
require. Price will depend on quantity (bulk) from all members of
the Tesla List. I will add up the potential orders and determine a
price per unit based on an 80% order fill volume.

Dr. Resonance

Check out <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->new cars at Yahoo! Autos.