Re: SGTC

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Frank,

I believe there is general consensus that it is circuit no.2 that is best.
They will all deliver the same spark length, provided that they are tuned to the same frequency and coupling coefficient. However, circuit 2 has the added asset, of keeping the transformer secondary winding shorted, during the ring down.
This is a good thing.
The transformer is only rated for 50-60Hz operation.
If, however, the cap is in parallel with the transformer, as in circuit 1, the full primary voltage is presented at the terminals, but at the tank resonant frequency!.
This is bad!
The inductance of the secondary is high, so there is not a great deal of current running in the wires, but the layer inter turn capacitance can lead to dielectric breakdown of the insulation, and as soon as a conductive path ha been established, the transformer can take care of the rest: chronic failure is certain.

Stick with circuit #2, it`s the way to fly!

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list skrev:
Original poster: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>
An interesting question for the group:
Which circuit makes a better SGTC and why?
1) The cap in parallel with the HV transformer and the spark gap in series with the TC primary
OR
2) The spark gap in parallel with the HV transformer and the cap in series with the TC primary
OR
3) The SG in parallel with the HV transformer and caps in series with EACH side of the TC primary I have plans dating back 100 yrs to the present and all configurations are used for small and large coils. There does not seem to be any preference and I have circuits using 20 KV transformers with all options above. The gap in parallel configuration seems to be slightly more present in designs but not by a large margin. The SG in parallel adds some over volt protection to the HV xfmr but also the risk shorting the transformer is present if the gap is left closed for any amount of time. The third option completely isolated the TC primary from the HV transformer making it by far the safest for shock hazards.
Thanks, Frank