Re: coil photography

Original poster: "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings all,
I am having trouble getting good pictures of my Tesla coil in operation. It seems the cameras I have available, do not have a very adjustable exposure time (and I don't have any clue how to take a double exposure, without using conventional film, which is useless to me as I don't have a scanner, so I cannot put my pictures on the computer). I can get "decent" videos, but still shots captured from them generally only show the arcs, and not the coil (which gives no perspective of actual size), plus the DPI is too low for my taste anyway. Any suggestions would be appreciated (even referrals to the archives would be great, if you could give me a general place to look, they are vast, and I am pressed for time!) Thanks a heap.

I used an older and relatively cheap digicam (HP r607) without manual exposure setting, but got halfway decent pics. The trick is to use a tripod, and make the camera use a long exposure by taking the picture at night (do not use flash).

Basically, set everything up, turn off the lights, click the camera, then run your TC for awhile. Play around with various settings to get a good picture.

You can use photo manipulation software (Photoshop or GIMP, among others) to make a composite image; this will give you the effect of seeing the arcs against a lit TC.

For example, these are pics I took:

http://teslacoils.home.comcast.net/4.5Tesla.jpg

Pasting the image on the bottom right on the image on the left, then using "Screen" blending gives this:

http://teslacoils.home.comcast.net/TeslaScreenComposite.jpg

Mind you, I spent all of about a minute making that, but if you work on it a little bit you should be able to get better results.

Jon