Re: coil photography

Hi Scott,

A lot depends on your digital camera. If it is just a point and shoot, you may be out of luck. What you really need is to be able to set the exposure time, the aperture, and the ISO setting manually. If you don't have full control on these settings, you may have some difficulty. Some cameras have auto exposure with both aperture and shutter priority. Others have auto exposure with only aperture priority. In lieu of complete manual control, you want shutter priority but with some fiddling, you can also make aperture priority work. One point to keep in mind, if you use a low F-stop, your depth of field will be shallow and focusing could be a problem. Manual focus on a target ahead of time is almost a must. The camera will have a hard time auto focusing on a spark.

Good luck.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings all,
I am having trouble getting good pictures of my Tesla coil in operation. It seems the cameras I have available, do not have a very adjustable exposure time (and I don't have any clue how to take a double exposure, without using conventional film, which is useless to me as I don't have a scanner, so I cannot put my pictures on the computer). I can get "decent" videos, but still shots captured from them generally only show the arcs, and not the coil (which gives no perspective of actual size), plus the DPI is too low for my taste anyway. Any suggestions would be appreciated (even referrals to the archives would be great, if you could give me a general place to look, they are vast, and I am pressed for time!) Thanks a heap.
Scott Bogard.

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglineapril07