Re: A real 1/4 wave TC

Hi Skip,

Don't forget the simulations. If your SRSG is incorrectly timed (and nothing else breaks down), you could get up to 200KV on the primary. If the SRSG is timed optimally, you would still have around 20KV on the primary. Hope this doesn't kill your 9KV 120ma NST. You might consider an ARSG that has much higher than 120BPS. I'll be happy to run a simulation for you.

Gerry

Original poster: Skip Greiner <skipg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All
Well I finally get some power into this proposed 1/4/wave unit. The final specs are as follows:
Secondary
Dia: 18 x 24
Winding length: 19.25
Wire: #18ga with plastic coating giving diameter of about .067
Turns: about 285
Wire length: 1366' which is about 227khz at 1/4 wave
JAVATC resonance: 227 khz
Resonance (measured, un-powered): about 226 khz
Operating frequency (measured, powered): about 210 khz
Top load: NONE (see below)

Primary
Dia: 22.5
Turns: 4
Wire dia.: .375
Cap: .034
JAVATC Resonance: 205khz

Break: SRSG, 1800rpm, 4 pole

Tranny: 9kv @ 120ma NST

In order to reduce the racing sparks the secondary had to be elevated with the lower turn of the secondary about 4.5" above the top turn of the primary. Per JAVATC this reduced the k to .135

In order to reduce the corona from the top turn of the secondary, a 0.5" strip of aluminum foil was placed about 4.5" above the top turn of the secondary and the final turn of the secondary was tied to it. This went all the way around the secondary form.

Prior to literally blowing up the primary capacitor a ring of 36" streamers was produced all the way around the aluminum foil. Strikes exceeding 40" happened about 40% of the time.

I was operating at about 65 to 70 volts input at this point. The input current as measured by an iron vane AC ammeter was about 25A. No pfc.

The cap literally blew up at this point and so ended the day. I will now start to build an MMC and try to increase the coupling and run the tranny up to 120v input.
Skip