Re: ceramic capacitors

Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

HV ceramic "doorknob" capacitors are not all the same.

Most are suitable only for DC filtering and small
signal work.  Pulse-discharge duty and/or RF power
amplifier duty tends to overheat or crack this type of
cap.

Some ceramic doorknobs are rated for RF and
pulse-discharge duty.  These are more rare and
expensive--of course!

Many ceramic doorknob caps exhibit rather extreme
temperature coefficient--they shift their capacitance
substantially with changing temperature--possibly even
enough to detune a Tesla coil.

Having spouted so much wisdom, I should also point out
that many coilers have successfully used ceramic
doorknob caps in Tesla coil tank circuits.  Not me
though.  The one time I tried it, the cheap Russian
surplus 40kv doorknob failed within seconds.  But I
know others have gotten them to work ok.

Cheers,

Greg

http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866145&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866143