Re: 12KV 750Ma diodes

At 06:25 PM 4/9/2007, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 4/9/07 2:57:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

Here's a pair of 14kv 1000ma diodes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HV-Rectifiers-14KV-1-Amp-Set-of-2-HV-Diodes_W0QQitemZ130095517214QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48708QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

You can also roll your own by soldering twelve, 1N4007
diodes in series.  This will give you 12kv at 1000ma
for under $1.

not really... it would give you something like 9-10 kV at 300 mA, using reasonable derating.

But Greg is right, strings of cheap diodes is a good way to go. I'd use the 540x series (3A) at pennies more each.... Get them all from the same lot (preferably in tape and reel packaging, so you KNOW they're from the same lot).. string twice as many as you need for the PIV, and you'll be in "dont worry, be happy" territory...

Greg

Hi Greg,

Perhaps this is not a problem, but I have always been concerned about the power dissipated in long strings of small diodes. Even a few volts each, times a dozen or more diodes, times an amp can generate some heat. This is probably why I've seen strings of diodes on boards in oil for some X-ray units. What has your experience been?

oil also helps avoid those nasty "around the package" flashovers...

Fwd voltage drop would be a volt at most, and even at an amp, that's a watt...