Re: Tesla coil on Ebay; 80-300' lightning?

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

That toroid is a little small... perhaps if he went with one about 4X
that size, he would get up to 500-600 foot sparks ;-).

Steve

Original poster: "M G" <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>

Sometimes I check ebay "Tesla coil" to see if there is anything new
that I would like to get. While searching I run into an auction where
a coil is being sold for just about $15,000. The description says
that it can create verticle streamers 80-300' straight up in the air.
Looking at the coil you can see the primary does not have that many
turns, and considering the secondary is so large, the capacitor must
be huge. I have my doubts that this coil can create streamers that
long using only 220volts at 30amps. It also seems that this coil is
being sold to anyone willing to pay the high price, regardless of
electrical knowledge, which is a bad idea in my opinion. Here is a
quote of the entire description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-Megavolt-Tesla-Coil-for-Special-effects-HUGE_W0QQitemZ220099893593QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4665QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Do not turn on near airports or other sensitive installations.
Generates Giant Lightning bolts from 80 to 300 feet tall going
straight up. Uses 220 volts single phase at 30 amps. Noise will wake
the dead. Might bring them back to life to, dont know for sure but
dont try it to be sure.. I will not help you re-bury anyone you
re-animate. This is not a toy. Buyer will be responsible for pickup
and transportation. This was custom made for my boss by the same guy
who builds them for Hollywood Special effects people in the 80's.
Built into Mahogony wood furniture, control will support remote
activation ( while under cover ). Comes with various books, papers,
letters and a hard back rare collectable Tesla book too. This is not
somthing you will see again in your lifetime. No its not UL approved.
Resulting display can give goosebumps, make women flee and children
to become incontinent. Use proper discretion when activating,
recomend out someplace away from everything important.! Does set off
EMP detectors at the Feds Nuclear Monitoring stations, it looks like
a 10-15 ton nuke going off on the detector. Have fun."

Create and Share your own Video Clip Playlist in minutes at Lycos MIX
(<http://mix.lycos.com/?if_Event=MAILmixtagline>http://mix.lycos.com)