Re: Ballasting the secondary side of transformers

Hi Chris,

Hey, a correction to my previous post. I was looking at the primary side of capacitive ballasting. The secondary side is of course different. Your 4kV output at 240Vac input with 15 amp limit yields 16000 ohms of reactance, so the limiting cap works out to 0.166uF. Certainly changes things. The C value is good but the voltage value would require strings. About 3 caps in series and 5 strings in parallel if using .1uF MOT caps rated at 2000V per cap. 15 total. Then, a 0.166uF value rated for the voltage should ballast to 15 amps ok on the hv side. Certainly possible using cheap multiple MOT caps.

Take care,
Bart

Barton B. Anderson wrote:

Hi Chris,

Good point! Capacitive ballasting the hv side could be practical for some setups. Considering your 4kV output on the MOTs with say a setup of 240 Vac input with a 15 amp limit, your looking at about 80 ohms of reactance which puts the cap at about 166uF. What value did you use on your hv side and how did you connect it? (curious why the 7A draw open circuit).

A pig limiting to 40 amps would use 6 ohms of reactance, so about 440uF. Of course, it's a fixed ballast, but that's not always a bad thing (certainly can be done). Too bad, I once had about eighty 100uF 1.5KV caps lying around. Might have been able to series-parallel for test. Only have one now. Sadly, I disposed of them and I didn't have can crushers and coin shrinkers in my mind those days (dimensions were around 4"x5"x9"). When you move from Minnesota to California, the burden of heavy garage junk makes for rash decisions.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Breneman, Chris" <brenemanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Are a resistive ballast and an inductive ballast the only options?
As I said in my last email, I'm trying out a capacitive ballast on the hv side, and it appears to be working. A capacitive ballast is much more feasible on the high voltage end because the capacitance doesn't have to be nearly as large. Also, I think there might be another plus for the hv ballasting, considering my setup in particular. Previously, I was using a MOT with the hv winding shorted as a lv ballast in series with two other MOTs with the primaries in parallel. Assuming that the MOTs have approximately the same inductance (particularly when the hv side is shorted), the ballast MOT will drop about 2/3 of the mains voltage, significantly decreasing the input voltage on the other transformers, and decreasing the output voltage. This is important in a system where a mere 4000 volts is the ideal output voltage. With a hv ballast, the impedance required to limit current to a sane amount should cause much less of a voltage drop. This appears to be the case with me.
With a setup like this, there is however an additional disadvantage.
With the hv end open circuit, it draws about 7A from the mains, whereas with the lv ballast, it only drew around 3A. Also, considering a hv inductive ballast, could an ignition coil be used? The insulation should be sufficient for the hv, and it should have a high inductance, but I'm not sure what the current-carrying capacity is.

Chris