Re: Ballasting the secondary side of transformers

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

But what are the costs of making a LV ballast?  I've
made two:  My first was a 30 gallon garbage can full
of water with 1/2" copper pipes immersed, one of which
had a PVC sheath I could raise or lower to adjust the
current.  Spent about $20 on that thing, including
brand new plastic garbage can from Home Depot (but I
already had the copper pipe).  The other is a ~24"
long ~5" OD piece of PVC with two layers of #6
stranded on it filled with steel ceiling wire gotten
from the local industrial surplus joint.  Steel gets a
little warm after long runs.  Big deal.  Same with the
water :-)  This latter ballast cost me $35 or so.
Granted, if you go and buy a big variac, you'll be out
$100 or more real quick!

I have a hard time believing high-side ballasting is
going to make things cheaper, and making a variable
high-side ballast (that you can vary while running!)
poses greater health risks, I think!

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE