Re: Smaller than resonance?

Original poster: "D.C. Cox" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

For a given size xmfr you should strive for the largest possible capacitance such that the energy going into the primary is as high as possible. If you run smaller than resonance --- yes it will work but you sacrifice output due to lower "bang" energy per shot. I usually use 1.5 x the calculated capacitive match for the transformer, ie, equal impedance cap value times 1.5 to determine cap size. The published charts in the archives work very well and should be consulted for the best cap value.

Dr. Resonance

I'm trying to figure out the right size tank capacitor bank to use with
my new potential transformers.

After much thinking and poking around on the net, I've come to the
conclusion that pole pigs, potential transformers, and any other
transformer (not just NSTs) can hit a resonant condition with the tank
cap.  Please correct me if this assumption is wrong.  From what I
understand today, it seems that the resonant cap value is a function of
the inductance of the HV secondary and the line frequency.  Not sure if
the primary side inductance has an effect.  It would be nice if I could
simply measure the inductance of my transformer with a meter and work it
all out on paper, but I have a hunch that a reading on a non-energized
core will be different than when current is flowing through the
transformer.

On to my "real" question.  In looking over several other people's coils
online, it seems that many are running much smaller than resonant tank
caps with these larger transformers with no problems.  I say smaller
than resonant as a guess based on results I've seen from JavaTC when
entering the parameters listed on these coil sites.