Re: First light with 833 tube coil, then silence

Hi Cameron, John G,

I checked the output of both of mt MOTs and they were both good.
I even checked to make sure that the MOT filter caps were taking on
a good charge after powering up by shorting a srew driver blade across
their terminals immediately after shutting down the power before the in-
ternal bleeder resistors bled down the charge, possibly suspecting the
diode had failed short circuit. The caps wouldn't always be left with a
full charge immediately after shutting the power down since they won't
always be shut down at the sine wave peak and in my case, they would
be left with a full charge every time after shut down.  Like I said before,
the main G3 tank cap makes absolutely no spark from shorting its 2
terminal ends with the power applied. I did not try this before the
output went to zero, but it stands to reason that this should reveal
some visible discharge if the cap is putting out oscillations into the
primary coil. Also, the primary coil now stays cold when I do turn
it on, whereas it would get warm after running it a few minutes
when there was an output, so it seems that no oscillations are getting
to the primary coil

Also, I think that my primary coil was a little short with its 30 turns
coupled with my 2 nFd primary capacitance since the output kept
getting a little better each time the I added more turns all the way
up to the 30th and final turn, when it was working. May opt for
a little bit primary cap, like 3 nFd, to make my current primary coil
tune in better once I figure out what's wrong. I think the #30 AWG
secondary coil is making it resonante at a lower-than-expected
frequency compared to the one that Cameron built using #28 AWG
wire.

David