Re:High speed Tesla spark photographs

Hi Russell,

The coil I have fires are roughly 300 times every second. For each one of those firings the coil oscillates up the high voltage at the rate of 100000 pulses every second for about 5 pulses. The actual spark event only lasts 1/ 20000th of a second. The coil is actually totally dark 98.5% of the time.

The mirror spins to "spread out" the very fast 100000 pulse rate event so we can see each pulse (otherwise, they are just all on top of each other and we can't see anything). But we have a fairly long shutter opening and four mirrors to improve the chances of actually catching that 1.5% of the time the spark is going. Only about 1/3 of those pictures show the spark well centered in the sweet spot of the camera and all and maybe 1 in 50 shows something cool. So we are trying to catch a very fast but fairly rare event.

Fortunately, with digital cameras and rechargable batteries, we can take all the pictures we want for free. A film camera could be used once the digital camera has worked out all the bugs and setup though if one could develop just the good ones with lots of "push"...

Today I forgot to turn the mirror motor on at first, so this shows what it looks like with the mirror standing still.

The room in normal light with the camera looking at the coil looks like this:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/pictures/still-01.JPG

The toroid with a copper point is against a black background in the mirror. The outer edge is the room around the mirror.

When the coil is turned on, the camera caught about 10 firings at the 1/30sec shutter speed. The first picture looks like this:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/pictures/still-02.JPG

In order to see it well, I push up the brightness and contrast hard:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/pictures/still-03.JPG

But here we see ten separate firings all on top of each other. No chance of seeing the five 1/100000th second pulses that makeup each of those firings. With the mirror spinning and some luck, we can "catch" a single firing and its individual pulses like this:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/pictures/still-04.JPG

It is sort of like finding a needle in a haystack, but we have lots of needles to work with ;-) As far as I know, until Peter figured this method out, these super high speed arc events have never been actually visible at all!!

So basically, the spinning mirror spreads the rare very fast event out over the camera sensor's surface so we can see each single one.

I am getting too much stray light right now and the florescent light in the room is flashing too so that is the next thing to work on. The mounting system I have now is not really optimal so I will redesign it once I figure out what Peter's new improvement is ;-)) I really need another larger mirror in there to improve all the angles. Then I will have to get a better camera...

Cheers,

        Terry