Re: Static Spark Gap

Hi Glen,

Yes, the NST and spark gap alone will set the "safe" arc voltage for the NST. The closer the cap is to the resonant value, the higher the bps will be, however, the arc voltage will not change for all practical purposes. To answer your last question, pay attention to the arc characteristics when setting the NST and spark gap up. Then when the full circuit is hooked up to the coil, look at the characteristics of the arc at the spark gap. It will be far louder and brighter than with just the NST and spark gap alone.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Glen McGowan" <glen.mcgowan@xxxxxxxxx>

First the general question, Does every arc "Beat"?

I've got a 15/60 NST and an .0094uf MMC. I know it's not LTR, thats my problem. It's possible to adjust my SG so that the voltage is safe for the NST (at cost of spark length). But I'm sure how I'd go about doing this. Should I hook up the NST to the SG by itself (No MMC) and adjust until I get a nice consistant spark? and if I do it this way how would the MMC build up a charge if the Gap fires at the voltage comfortable for the NST? Which lead to my initial question, How can I tell if the arc is "beating" or just arcing?. How will I know if I'm charging and discharging my caps?