Re: Machining an Egg

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 9/18/06 7:56:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I've not been following this thread closely, so forgive me if I'm off in
>the weeds with this.  For this application, is it critical that the
>copper be solid or at least thick?  If the egg need only have a high
>conductivity surface, how about covering a plastic Easter egg with
>copper foil tape?  The edges can easily be soldered to adjacent strips
>for a continuous conductive surface, and the solder joints can be plated
>with copper by immersion in a copper sulfate solution for aesthetic
>metallic continuity, or you can use Bondo and paint for a really smooth
>finish.  Do they still sell Leggs pantyhose in the plastic eggs?
>
>Regards, Gary Lau

Gary,

Harry Goldman tried thin-walled light-weight metal eggs
and they stood up and rotated properly.
But my solid aluminum egg didn't stand up.
I'm not sure if I made my prior posting clear about all that.  So
the conclusion seems to be that the weight of the egg and power of the
unit are the important factors.  A lightweight egg will stand up in a weak
columbus unit, but it takes a powerful columbus device to make
a heavy egg stand up.  At least this is what I conclude from what
Harry said.  I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, and I never
tried any columbus egg experiments.  Others may know much
more.

John