Re: Machining an Egg

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 9/18/06 2:58:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>"The material of this egg is of brass. Something that is not attracted to
>the magnet, but it's a very good conductor and that is the reason why we
>have that rotation on the end."

I was going to suggest the following, but from the thread I had figured it was mandatory to use copper. Since brass may be OK:

Use a large cartridge casing, and hammer it into shape on a mandrel. You could make two halves of the egg, then join at the middle. You may have to anneal during forming. You could also just cut the head off the casing, leaving you with a seamless thinwall brass tube. You could then notch and fold the ends to form a closed "egg". I dunno the scale of your project, but I'd say the brass casings from the old 40mm L/60 Bofors AA gun would be about perfect in size, price, and availability. You could just use an egg-shaped hollow brass float, from a level switch or valve. McMaster-Carr has a variety of floats.

-Phil LaBudde