[no subject]

Original poster: "Gav D" <gdingley@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I've been writing some MATLAB code to explore the use of current
filament analysis to calculate the inductance of the standard coil
geometries: flat-disk, helical and conical. The results I've been
getting have been interesting when compared to the traditional
formulae used in calculating inductance. Assuming my code works, this
is what I have found:-

Helical: Wheeler works fine as long as the diameter/radius is greater
than about 5, beyond this the error is small but still present. Below
this it can get quite way-off.

Flat-Disk: The code generates values of the right magnitude to the
standard "Wheeler-variation" formula for this coil geometry, but the
figures are quite different.

Conical: Have not looked at this one yet.

I was wondering if anyone else has looked into this, perhaps have a
program by which I can compare my own code? Has anyone else noticed
how inaccurate the standard formulae can be? Perhaps my code is just
wrong.

Thanks,

Gavin