From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2006 2:13 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: High speed Tesla spark photographs

Hi Again Dan,

At 09:17 PM 9/15/2006, you wrote:

>Also, you mention color balance and all that jazz, but if you really want
>be serious with these images, you REALLY do need to shoot RAW images and
>convert them to TIFF files using 16-bit linear mode.  With RAW images, it
>doesn't matter what your color balance is as  you can select this when you
>do the RAW conversion.  Also, when shooting JPG you only get 8-bit of
>information vs. 12-bit.  Of course, you could argue that that added
>resolution might not be that important when shooting a bright object like
an
>arc.
>
>Dan

I tested the camera's 9MB TIFF images against the 500K JPG images.  I
pumped the brightness and contrast on the original picture.  Then I
subtracted a dark picture from a black exposure to eliminate noise
and then pumped it.

The TIFF images looks like this:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/pictures/TIFFtest.jpg

And the JPG images like this.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/pictures/JPGtest.jpg

The top left is the original image, the top right is the black
exposure.  The bottom left is the contrast pump and the bottom right
is the subtraction and then the contrast pump.  The images above are
vastly reduced in size for download ease.

So the smaller images are not too bad given the "army I got".  The
smaller images are much easier to deal with so I will stick with them
and only resort to the giant image if I really have to push it.

Happily, the camera is able to pull out a whole lot of "dark"
information ;-))  So things are looking pretty good!!  I tried the
low light video camera and the still camera's enhanced pictures are
just as good! ;-))  I did note that the black reference picture needs
to be taken at the same settings as the good picture without turning
the camera off.  I think it resets during a power off so the noise
does not line up right anymore.

Cheers,

         Terry