Re: Big Toroids, collective conscious brain storm

Hi Jim,

When I started my 8x32 toroid using Al ducting material, I tried to use bondo to fill.

+ Adhesion good
+ Sands smooth

- Expensive
- Takes a lot to fill the ridges
- Sanding goes slowly
- Its a two part material and the work time is too small

Someone mentioned a material that is akin to liquid balsa wood.

+Lighter than bondo
+Maybe easier to sand

-Dont know product name nor where to buy
-Hobby shop has stuff but only in small tubes (but this might be a start to getting some in bulk)
-Small tube was expensive (per oz)

Also someone mentioned a two part foam that could be used to fill the ridges (dont know the name).

+Readily available in bulk
+Not too expensive (iirc)
+Adhesion is good
+Sands easily

Gerry R

My limited experience proves that attaching a smaller diameter, say 4" minor
of  dyer duct by 18 or 19" (scale as needed) added surprising plane rigidity
to the 8" x 32"+ business end toroid with dual pizza pans center. This
clearly reinforces the top hat which is still reasonably horizontal with no
visible plane distortions.

Ok, so we are down to the filling the ridges, and dent deterrent.

Bondo.