Re: Questions??

Original poster: acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Original poster: jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I tried using the capacitors 2 in series and 3    2's in parallel and
> nada.  Its one of the same problems I had before the spark gap does
> not fire.  There is a little zap (like shorting a 9 volt battery) If
> I tap the electrods together which is easy because of the base. But
> thats about it.

Or your capacitor is short-circuited, or it is too big and acting as a
short-circuit, or your transformer is not working. How long is the spark
when only the transformer is connected to the spark gap?

>  > >* type of spark gap and how constructed
>  > >2 bolts mounted in lexan or something with a large computer cooling
>  > >fan sucking are through it the bolts are about .08 mm from each
>  > >other (which is as far apart as they will go while still allowing a
> jump)
>  >
>  > That is fine.

0.8 mm, maybe. 0.08 is too small. 6 kV should jump at least 7 mm. If
your transformer does not produce a spark several mm long when connected
alone to the gap, something is wrong with it. The connection of the
primary circuit in parallel with the gap should result in almost the same
spark length at the gap, but with much higher noise. If the spark at the
gap reduces to a fraction of mm with the primary connected, there is
something wrong with the primary capacitor, or the connections.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz