Re: High K lower pole tuning DRSSTC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:27:28 -0200
From: Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: High K lower pole tuning DRSSTC (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:

> From: Joshua Gutfriend <josh123spartan@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> I've done a lot of reasearch on DRSSTCs and it occured to me that if you
> increase the K then you could lower the lower pole of the frecquency split.
> That would decrease the losses in the secondary wire, increase the speed of
> energy transfer, and allow increase in tank capacity. Then to counteract the
> racing spark you could just make the secondary mineral oil filled. I was
> thinking of a K of 0.385 because it a "magic K" value while the K is still
> high. Apreciative of any input. P.S. I'm 13 and a newbie.

I think that DRSSTCS shall be designed with the drive frequency between
the two resonances. This is what results in the minimum input current and
maximum efficiency. The driver must be kept on until the first notch in
the primary current, and then switched off. Excitation at the resonances
increases the output voltage, certainly, but also increases even more
the input current and reduces the efficiency.
The voltage gain is inversely proportional to the coupling coefficient.
Values around 0.1, or even somewhat lower, appear to be the best.
The resistance of the secondary wire has little effect.
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/drsstc1.pdf
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/drsstc.html
I will soon update these files with a practical full power example.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz