GFI Neons

Original poster: Scott Kraus <plymouth_4406@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

I know that there are several lines of thought on GFI neons use as is for Tesla coils. I have had some work some not but one reason for defeating GFI protection is that it is the only thing wrong with the transformer.

I just picked up about 12 neons several worked but they were 6-9kv. Three others were all GFI Franceformers 12kv. @ 30ma. all had bad GFI boards. I clipped all the wires leading to the GFI card and hooked the black wire to the orange and orange/black wire (dual primary?) and the green wire to the blue and blue/white wire (low side or center tap leads for both h.v. windings). Ignore the switch and insulate the white wire.

Actown transformers have a terrible potting compound with small stones in them. On the ones I fixed you could hear a small relay pull in when you connected them to power. The relay contacts must be normally closed so all I had to do was dig at the compound where the wires disappeared into it to find the board and destroy enough parts on it untill the relay stopped pulling in. I have been using 3- 15kv @ 25ma. of those for over a year now.

Scott