Re: 10kva pole pig needed with 29kv primary

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

looks like Bellsouth doesnt like alot of traffic.... thats why I dropped them and went to Cox Cable... but anyway..

yes I seriesed 2 14.4KV piggies for 28.8 KV and when driven by the variacs can obtain a little over 30KV but at 10KVA ( both piggies are rated for 10KVA)

when seriesed transformers are applied ( considering both are equally made) you get additive voltage but the amperage remains equal. If paralleled, you get the opposite... same voltage but additive amperage.

If one plans on placing two piggies in series, you NEED to triple insulate the trannies from the case very well... seems that the clearances from the case walls and the trannies is minimal for the original voltage set. Dont throw away any of the "paper" insulative material found in the case and consider procuring even more, you will need as much as you can use. Pay attention to the way the trannies are originally set up when you open the case... draw a schematic of how it was connected. Also another thing to watch for is the "polarity" of the transformers output, its the same as in NST or MOT applications when going series.

as far as connections, I paralled the "primary" ( input) side of the coil and seriesed the "secondary" ( output) side.

Even tho I have a bundle of insulation in my piggie, at the higher input voltages ( when the output is getting into the 29KV plus) you can hear "corona sizzle" in the case. I also ground the case to a dedicated ground rod just in case something breaks down....

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Jim,

Yes, you could do exactly that ;^) Or, if you have at least
one of the pig trannies with 2 HV bushings, or "horns", you
could "float" one at 14,400 volts and "piggy-back" it on the
other one's output for additive voltage. Of course, you'd
at least want the pig that's floating at 14.4 kV to be a 2 HV
bushinged unit, as the outer tank of a pig floating at 14.4 kV,
relative to ground, would be an electrocution waiting to hap-
pen ;^0 The pigs' BIL rating should allow for piggy-backing
of the HV output of one pig on another, though. I think Scot
"Bunnykiller" Dingman uses 2 seriesed 14.4 kV pigs for up
to ~30 kV input for his big coil's primary circuit. He discusses
this on his website. http://bellsouthpwp.net/B/u/BunnyKiller/bigpig.html

David Rieben