Re: Validating the "Tesla Effect" and retardation

The scientific method requires that mathematical models be developed in an attempt to describe and explain the "Tesla Effect" that has been observed by a number of people on this list and elsewhere."

Perhaps you should define the "Tesla effect" before the discussion continues. Tesla claimed essentially lossless transmission independent of whatever effect caused it. I have seen absolutely NO evidence of that presented here or elsewhere.

"I don't agree with you at all. Validation of the Tesla Effect in my mind will be accomplished when even the smallest amount of electrical energy transmitted by a Tesla coil RF transmitter is detected using a grounded Tesla receiving transformer while at the same time the energy is undetectable using a radio antenna connected to a sensitive radio receiver at the same location."

Your definition apparently is that any coupling with a grounded system is "Tesla effect". You're dead wrong on that of course, unless you want to call all signal transmission via RADIATED SIGNALS (which Tesla specifically denigrated and predicted would vanish by 1920) and received with a system employing an antenna and grounded receiver as being transferred by said effect. In that case you'd say all conventional AM broadcast ground wave transmission uses the Tesla effect. Do you? Simplest test would be to see if the signal at the receiving site could be detected by a receiver with a loop antenna, floating several feet in the air. Answer is that it surely would but I haven't seen anyone mentioning that but might have overlooked something.

"The separation between the TC transmitter site and the receiving site has to be a multiple wavelength distance. The radio antenna must NOT be grounded to the earth. Ideally it would be a vertical 1/2-wave dipole, perhaps incorporating loading coils, suspended in free space from a helium balloon. The radio receiver would be a small battery powered cross-band transposer, say 137 kHz to 224 MHz. Alternatively the radio antenna could be a vertical 1/4-wave base-loaded monopole positioned directly above an elevated, insulated counterpoise. A third option, and probably the easiest to construct, would be a horizontal 1/2-wave dipole with loading coils."

What causes any signals received at distances which aren't multiples of the wavelength? I think Dr. Resonance's observation at 4800 feet could hardly be at a multiple of a wavelength and the implication of his note is that signals were diminishing with distance and observable all the way from the transmitter to the point. The receiver with a loop antenna and a speaker blasting away would be far simpler and would accomplish the same purpose as the methods you suggest. "The Tesla receiving transformer could be passive and incorporate a low aspect ratio helical resonator. Alternatively, the receiver could be an identical TC RF transmitter synchronized with the distant energy source and having a phase shifting network so the phase relationship between the two oscillators can be adjusted."

What would you connect to the top of the resonator? Not sure what the last sentence means.

"The use of inflamatory terms such as "fanatics" does absolutely nothing to advance this research, and, in fact, has a retarding influence. I sincerely wish you would cut it out."

OK Gary. Let me replace "fanatics" with "avid fans of the Tesla effect"; surely that isn't inflamatory and merely refers to enthusiasts or devotees, neither of which could possibly be construed as denegrative. In thinking about all of this I suggest you defend Tesla by a simple dissertation explaining the difference between ground wave transmission, conventional inductive or capacitve coupling of resonant circuits, and the Tesla effect. In a given situation how could one discover which was causing a measured voltage in the receiving resonator? Perhaps such an experiment can be analyzed and then conducted according to your rules.

Ed