Re: Introduction

Original poster: Stan <wsmg@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Scott,

I'm in Waupaca just down the road from you. If you want you could bring your coil up and try it on my supply. It's a 7.5 kva 12k volt Thordarson bombarder with a variable choke and a 90 amp motorized variac(wired 140%) and a motorized 10 amp variac on a 24 volt 0-5500 rpm 4 post propeller gap. I also have a pile of Maxwell pulse caps that we could rig up a tank(about 16 or so caps). I have 2 tanks put together that are 0.075uf 80,000 volt(2 -0.15uf 40,000volt) and 0.066uf 60,000volt(3-0.2uf 20,000 volt). I should say Mike Hardy(Milwaukee) and I have all this. We have a 9" D.C.(Dr. R) salvage coil and a 8" x 36" D.C. salvage spun toroid which throws about 12', we should be able to get at least that or more out of yours if you have a big enough toroid. Give me a call if your interested 715.256.1514. I also have a 15kva pig that I haven't needed to fire up yet. Mike and I are also working on winding 14" and 18" coils. I also have a 5' x 16' x 12" cnc router I built that I would like to mount a laser on some day. We should hook up.

Stan

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Scott Kraus <plymouth_4406@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

I would like to introduce myself to the list. My name is Scott Kraus and I live in the Oshkosh Wisconsin area. I have been interested in Tesla coils and high voltage for the last 30 years. I was out of the game until last summer when I had to use a neon transformer to substitute for an ignition transformer at work. After I was done with the repair I thought about what I used to to use neon transformers for. Of course I started to build a Tesla coil. I am a maintenance mechanic at a small metal fabricating shop. One of my duties include all the care and feeding for 3 cnc lasers. I do all the preventative maintenance, computer work, mode tuning, optic cleaning/replacement and alingment to keep them running. I recently attended Dr. Resonance's Midwest Teslathon and enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks D.C. I am in the process of building a 14 inch coil and gathering parts. I am only out to about 60 to 70 inches with it on neon transformers. I have 2 10 kva. pole pigs but I still run across good parts. The local salvage yard had two laser heads with 3 phase 10400 volt power transfomers and saturable reactors but I did not have time to pull many parts but I did get a big pile of diodes and a couple of caps.

Thanks to the list and all the help with my coil. If anyone needs help with G.E. Fanuc or Rofin Sinar Laser resonators I may be of help.