Re: New project

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 10/10/06 11:39:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

In your opinion, whats highst practical KW input for a 4" dia. coil
?  I mean, there comes a point in the quest for longer sparks , that
its just more practical too increase dia. for more output. I run 3kw
into such a coil, and, feel Im reaching the limit. I may have reached
close to 5 feet , with a huge toroid. ( static gap only )  any other
4" coilers out there want to coment ?

I think you're around the limit now.  Not an absolute limit of course,
but a practical limit.  By making the coil tall, and using large toroids,
long sparks can be obtained up to a point, but losses may become
somewhat high too at some point.  I used to get up to 65" sparks
at 1500 watts or so with my old 4" research coil but the coil was
on the verge of breakdown (and often did break down).  The secondary
winding was 23" long.

John