High Speed Streamer Pictures - Even more

Hi All,

Very busy day today!!

Many questions, but not a lot of answers :o))

First the easy stuff... Peter was wondering if my Streak Oscilloscope's bandwidth was "ok" since some of the readings looked different than one would expect... So I gave it a check. Here it is on top of the coil with a signal generator attached:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/instruments/ScopeCheck-01.JPG

I do note the small focus angle LEDs on the left are not quite pointed to the camera and the toroid has reflections (things to do list...). So I gave it a 100kHz 20% duty cycle square wave at +-4.7V:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/instruments/ScopeCheck-03.JPG

So it works "just fine"...

The picture that seems the most exciting is this one!!:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090047b.JPG

It appears that the coil fired off three arcs in 30uS intervals!! That's "33,000" BPS!!! I was thinking it just happened to hit right during a charging cycle from the PIRANHA drive system. But "33,000" BPS is hard to believe!! Peter thought it might just be an overlap of three arcs. But those usually look like this:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090009a.JPG

Here is a double overlap in the same mirror (top), but the calibration markers give it away:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090040b.JPG

Plus these fast multi-strikes (or close) show in 5 out of 64 of my pictures...:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090022b.JPG

So this multi-strike thing seems fairly common and it is "new"... It might be something weird just with the SISG PIRANHA coil. Maybe due to it's long "on-time" or it's powerful charging circuit....

It should be easy to find on a plane wave antenna and a scope if one goes looking, so I will search for it next session...

The bottom strike in this picture is cool:

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090063b.JPG

The strike caused a sharp positive "spike" in the scope (0.1A/LED) when it hit. But there is a significant current build up and down before and after the hit. It also has a bit of a positive "tail" which is pretty normal...

http://drsstc.com/~streakcam/pictures/32/PA090059b.JPG

I put a big 13MB PDF file up on rapid share that has 26 cool pictures in it in high-res. Printer friendly too (use "photo" print to get the fine detail).

http://rapidshare.de/files/36173555/Hi-SpeedStreamerPhotos.pdf.html

Click on "free" in the lower right. Wait about 60 seconds while they show you ads about pretty girls :o)... Type in the anti-bot letters and download...

So it looks like the camera system is getting real well figured out. I wish I had a much more light sensitive camera like Peter. Maybe the 10,000 RPM mirror will blast out the lens soon and give my the "opportunity" to get a better camera :o)) I did find that at 15,000 RPM the vibration was enough to knock the camera out of focus.

So now I guess it is getting near the time of wondering deeply about what all this "means"...

Cheers,

	Terry