Re: Some first coil questions

Original poster: "Glen McGowan" <glen.mcgowan@xxxxxxxxx>

I used a mixture of techniques.....I have a 4" secondary as well. I used two 3" caps at each end of the 4" PVC pipe. The 3" caps will fit "inside" the 4" pipe with a small amount of sanding.

For securing the topload I'm using a nylon bolt. For securing the bottom of the coil to the base on the other hand, I'm using a 2" brass bolt. The goal is to keep the secondary wire and any metal conductive objects out of the inside of the secondary form. Well, in my case I wanted something hefty and conductive to bolt to a nice heavy ground. Nylon in my opinion would not have cut it so I used a brass bolt. In order to insulate the head of the bolt from the rest of the inside of the coil form I took four or five 1/4" laxan disc's and expoxied them together then glued them over top the brass bolt head.

On my coil the brass bolt head sticks through the top portion base where I then use a nut to secure a copper lug (similar to <http://www.electricmotioncompany.com/view.php?dbt=powercat&sub=Terminal%2520Lugs%2520-%2520Single%2520Terminal%2520Lug>this). The wire from this lug runs down and gathers up all the grounds (not mains ground!) coming from the Terry's Filter etc and then terminates to another lug on the bottom of the other base.

I'll have to snap a current picture. I just finished actually wiring mine up lastnight. Let me know if you want a pic.

As far as sticking the coil wire through the PVC and into the inside of the cap. To avoid doing this I cut a small channel (like a drainage ditch) into the cap. Layed the wire in the channel and covered over it with hot glue. I only made the channel deep enough to lay the wire in...I did not puncture the cap.