Re: Tesla's large pancake coil (and Myth Busters)

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Tesla list wrote:

> Many of the cover illustrations for "Popular Science" and
> "Popular Electronics" up to the 1960's were of devices that never
> became reality.
>      In general, if some illustration seems too amazing or too
> dangerous to make sense, it PROBABLY isn't real. A lot of amazing
> science is much more amazing than science.

Heh.  There's really no need to use biased language make the drawing seem
questionable.  It's already questionable! It's a drawing!  No doubt the
drawing contains many details which differ from a photograph made of the
same event.

Now here's some science, as opposed attempted Floccinaucinihilipilification*

   QUESTION:  If we actually build a large pancake-style TC secondary, and
   mount a sphere terminal on the end of a central rod, then does the
   discharge tend to occupy a fairly narrow cone which is directed
   outwards from the pancake coil?     Yes or no.

If nobody has experimentally determined the answer by building and
operating such a pancake-shaped secondary, then we have no business
pretending that we know the answer.

If we want to adopt a scientific attitude, then we're not supposed to
choose sides or to leap to unwarrented beliefs, instead we should remain
tenative in the face of the unknown, and as Faraday said, "Let the
experiment be made."

I was hoping that the experiment ALREADY was "made" by someone here, so
they'd give an answer.

* Ever hear of "Floccinaucinihilipilification?"  It's a symptom of
   anti-science thinking, and is a common tactic in law and politics.  It
   essentially means "Using rhetorical distortions to make something seem
   worthless."  It's common in non-science discussion.  Just use some
   derogatory language to describe your opponents' views.  And of course
   use glowing terms to describe your own.  The language of scientists
   seems odd in comparison, since ideally it lacks such distortions, so
   both the pro and con sides are treated equally.   For more, see:

   The clinical attitude
   http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/courses/inflogic/clinical.htm

(See Below:)