Re: transformer

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

This is my 60kV x-ray transformer also rated at 300mA. Getting it off a car trailer without special gear at midnight was a real challenge. It was a throw out from the physics dept. It works but I haven't pushed it at all. But, I have a 32 A 240V domestic service that I could push to 45A briefly and I have a big variable reactor ......
http://tesladownunder.com/HVXRayTransVariac.jpg
The eBay transformer seems to be overdone with the high voltage terminal though. I wonder if there is more to it than that.
Peter

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
It appears to be a 60 kV X-ray xmfr. Running intermittant at 20-25 kVA, yes, it could produce a 3 ft spark but only when struck at 4 inches and then "pulled" out. It will not "strike" an arc at 3 ft. That would require around 400-500 kV. External power reactor definitely required.

Dr. Resonance