Help onprotection of mains supply and HV transformer

Original poster: "James Howells" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have read several e-mails and Charles Hobsons  article on ballasts

VIZ. I have tried to help myself as much as possible .

But still can not get to grips with how to calculate what size ballast I need to protect my very small HV power supply and more importantly my house supply

HV transformer 240 volt 50Hz < 7.50 @ 2.5 mA yes only two and a half milli amp

I do not want a solution ... though that would be nice

I want to be able to work it out for my self

I understand most of the math OK ... resonance cals etc I'm OK at
BUT

How do I work out Z's  ?

I understand

primary current is supply volts divided by z ohms of primary ballast .... and all that follow s reflected secondary current , turns ratio etc

BUT WHERE DO YOU GET THAT FIRST BALLAST SIZE ( Z OHMS ) of the supply ballast

Once I have the HENRIES I can work out the coil size from the equation calculator on DEEP FRIED NEON SITE

or if you give me a formula I will probably be able to do it on a spread sheet

What am I trying to do?
In the supply ballast do I want to
construct an inductor that only passes 50 Hz ?

Is this the same for the supply secondary inductors are they constructed to pass 50 hz and block RF ?

FINALLY, could I use (several) fluorescent light ballasts in the incoming mains
-----one in each N and L wire ?

PLEASE  HELP

James Howells  ( Staffordshire UK)

can I measure Z's?